woodland creature costumes

October 26, 2011

when i saw the idea for this costume on pinterest,
i knew my oldest daughter would love it.
her beloved 1st grade teacher was partial to owls,
so they have become a close 2nd to elephants here.

unlike my sister who makes half of her kids' clothing herself,
i do not get a long with my sewing machine.
we have a fight and almost breakup every time i use it.
my glue gun on the other hand is the love of my life!
i made this costume entirely with hot glue!
here's how i did it...
i bought a few yards of felt for 50 % off so it was super cheap
{like maybe $6 total}
i chose 3 coordinating colors.
next, i cut a feather out of card stock
and then traced it over and over on the felt.
cut out all the feathers and warm up the glue gun.
 i used a hand-me-down dress that was the shape i wanted
i forgot to take a picture after the first row, but basically just
glue down the top half of each feather, doing one row
{all the way around - front and back} at a time.
i didn't stick to a set pattern with the colors, just
tried to keep a color from bunching together too much.
once the dress was finished, i was so excited to show her.
i made her try it on the second she got off the bus.
first words out of her mouth: "where's the wings?"
my inspiration picture didn't have wings....
but i came up with the shape above,
cut it out and glued it inside the shoulder strap of the dress.
if you look closely, you can see a black jelly bracelet
{pinned for now..will stitch in place soon}
this keeps the wings attached to her arms,
but if they are annoying her she can take off the bracelet
and let them flap behind her!

{the hat}
i saw this hat on pinterest and pretty much copied it.
we bought a woman's hat
(i recommend this because you lose a lot of the
hat height when creating the owl head shape)
okay, for this "i" did sew.  when i say "i", i mean
my mother-in-law sewed the hat.
we traced a half circle onto the inside of the hat,
cut and sewed it back together.
check out the link for much better instructions!
button + circle + circle with slits + hot glue = owl eye
ta da!
fly away owl!

my other daughter loves bunnies, i honestly
don't know how we haven't had a bunny costume before.
the costume all started with this
ADORABLE hat
i purchased it from babamoon on etsy
it is so cute and very soft.  she was so fast too!
we bought a tutu skirt from target and then my mother-in-law
sewed the fur boa to the edge.
i took a pink shirt and added a couple layers
of white fur with the glue gun.
instead of adding fur to the sleeves,
i wrapped more of the fur around jelly bracelets.
this way, if she has to wear a sweatshirt for trick or treating
the fur will not be covered.
bunny tail!



4 comments

  1. you did an AWESOME job on these costumes! I love the owl. And there is nothing wrong with hot glue. ;) I'd love for you to link up with my Halloween Party! http://www.fairlyfabulousblog.com/2011/10/halloween-doors-and-my-first-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! Found you via Tatertots and Jello.

    I have a custom blog button giveaway going on now at my blog if you're interested in checking it out!

    Melanie
    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-ive-done-thursday-and-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth!! Super helpful. I'm in process of doing this for Coltan. Made my feathers a bit small but finally finished cutting them all. Bring on the glue gun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great! Your daughters look gorgeous in their costumes. I love my glue gun too!Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete