Saturday, February 13, 2010
once we knew we were having a boy, i wanted to get his nursery ready.
we wanted something that could be a big boy room and not just a nursery.
we decided on a baseball theme.
my husband thought that the "hunter" paneling worked just great since it was going to be a boy. you can see how often i listen to his opinion.
first step: priming
i didn't get any "in between" pictures. (or pictures of me 8 1/2 months pregnant finishing this project)
i painted each section of paneling, alternating blue and taupe
then went back and taped off in between each stripe and painted a dark brown pinstripe. this was very tedious but makes a big difference.
this wall has the dresser/changing table and a floating shelf.
here are some details on the shelf
i printed a picture that i had taken at wrigley field ripped around the edges then used mog podge to attach to a canvas. i did the same thing with a piece of baseball scrapbook paper. then i used a brown stamp pad to "age" the edges.
i found some tin stars at joann fabrics for a couple dollars each. i painted them with hammered copper spray paint.
i'm still planning on adding hooks to a wood bat and hanging it below.
baseball chair from homegoods and tin baseball art from target.
wood letters painted with same brown as pinstripes on wall. i mounted them on scrapbook paper on cork squares.
the crib bedding is a mix of pottery barn collections: a red bumper with stars, khaki sheets with polka dots, and a blue striped crib skirt.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
i am adding some home improvements in order to join in the fun of link parties!
the fireplace before & after...
when we moved in, i was thrilled to have a fireplace. but less than thrilled with the orangey-brown tones of the jagged rocks. my original plan was to build a wood facade over the rock, but i needed to hire someone to do that and they are kind of funny about expecting to be paid. so i decided to paint the rocks in the gray tones i would've picked. everyone thought i was crazy. now they think i'm a genius! i'm proud to say i did this project without the help of any men! (my sister may have painted 10-20 rocks)
don't you love the pea soup green walls!
goodbye brass doors and vents! i painted them with a black high heat spray paint. priming the stones was
h o r r i b l e!
in fact it was so bad that i only did about 2/3rds.
once all the rocks were painted, i painted the mantle an off white. then i sanded around all the edges and over some of the wood grain. next i applied stain over the paint and wiped it off. i ended up using a couple different colors of stain to get the right look.